Sunday, 13 June 2010

Sunday Evening

... PJ's on, boys in bed, toys away, vacuumed, kitchen clean and tidy (almost) meal plan done for the week, washing sorted...time to open my box of Jaffa cakes and take a breather.


Sunday is always a crazy day for us, as I am sure it is for everyone else. You spend the morning getting things ready, packing bags, making lunches, washing and dressing ourselves and kids (if we have them). Some of us might be organised enough to pack bags the night before, and I do sometimes, but even then it still feels like a mad rush. Then off to meeting we go, and we have a delightful day, but the day is also complicated by overtired children, overtired and busy parents, co-coordinating things etc etc. This day which happens to be the most busy and tiring day of the week, is actually meant to be our 'day of rest'. It is meant to be the day that we come away boosted spiritually and encouraged for the week ahead. The day that we feel revived and refreshed. Do you feel that after a day at church?


It occurred to me today that it is my challenge to make sure my Sunday IS my day of rest, the day I feel refreshed and revived, and I must do everything I can to make sure that happens. I want my Sunday to boost me, not drain me. I don't want to be so consumed in rushing around after my kids that I come way with NOTHING to contemplate. I need to pre-plan, prioritise, say little prayers of peace, and focus on what I am there for and what is really important. The reason I am there is to fellowship with others, to serve, to show kindness and patience, to be a listening ear, or to give a hug of support, and ultimately to remember Jesus, the reason that I can fellowship in the first place. To remember the great price he paid for me to be alive and living now!


Today, thankfully because Asher and Isaac behaved in creche, I was able to bring something strong away from the exhortation. I need and want to know my bible more. Christ knew his bible, his old testament, and it got him through many things. I need to KNOW my bible, to have it in my head, to have it there every moment of every day in my heart, guiding my decisions, my activities, my chores, my choices, EVERYTHING. This week, I want to read more of my bible and know more of it, and so draw closer to the Lord Jesus.

Now I'm gonna get back to my jaffa cakes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment